Ads

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Radical Careering

Am I in the middle of a crisis? Wouldn't even be a middle-age one, I'm only 26! So I'm reading this book by Sally Hogshead (I didn't make up her name!) Anyways, let's say, it's got me in a crazy spot right now and I'm not even done reading.

I just quit my full time job. Kept it part-time, left with tears in my eyes; I'd been working there four years. But it was a dead-end job and I have a lot of potential. Mind you with my level of education, I'm barely passed high school graduate all because I invested 16 000$ in a program I realized wasn't entirely fit for me. I LOVE music, love listening to it, love writing songs, love all the technical stuff that comes behind the scenes but it's not my calling. Not anymore. Was it ever?

Anyways, I'm looking for a job as an administrative assistant. Well, not really a job like I say...a career. Yes I know my path with most likely end up in law which used to be the plan but I'm not ready yet. Anyhow; I always thought I knew what I wanted or that I had a pretty rough idea. Turns out I don't really. Yes this is what I want right now, to be an administrative assistant and I'd be great at it. Also I need a job in the following two weeks or I'll be in deep s**t. That iPhone won't pay itself. Lol

Anyhow, why is the book making me freak out...

"Radical Truth #39
Write Your Mantra

You wake up. Roll over. As you come alive to your day ahead, what inspires you to get out of bed? Are you excited by the prospects ahead, or deadened by the drudgery of minutia on your to-do list? What kind of future are you living into? What is your purpose? The answer lies in your mantra statement.

What's a mantra statement you ask? Excellent question. You're well acquainted, of course, with a mission statement. Most mission statements use jargonic fluff to state watered-down shareholder goals on a PowerPoint slide. ("We put the Q in Quality!") A mission statement generally speaks purely to rational goals. A mantra statement, on the other hand, reveals the true, underlying purpose. A mission statement lives in your head; a mantra statement lives in both your head and soul.

Here's an old story.

Three bricklayers were working and someone asked, "What are you doing?" The first said, "I'm laying bricks." The second said, "I'm building a straight wall." But the third said, "I'm creating a cathedral for God."

Straight wall= Mission Statement

Cathedral to God= Mantra Statement

Think of your own life for a moment. What's your big picture intention? What are you doing with this one and only life of yours? For more information about mantra statements, go to www.mantra-statement.com"


This is from the book. Go buy it!!!

Anyways, back to me because it's what it's meant to be about. I'm not so excited to get out of bed! I have no mantra. Sure I have a mission statement but what for. What am I really aspiring to do and why...Well, I'm not aspiring to much, a nice house some money, a loving man (husband maybe...) I'd say that's my mission, my straight wall...What about my mantra...

And it hit me...Maybe I want kids after all, maybe I want that loving family that I was so sure I didn't care about. I want my career as a lawyer probably but I'm not sure but I think I may want that family after all.

I think this will shock of my friends, especially one who saw me displaying emotions recently and at work to top it off and now I'm stating I may actually want kids? What is happening to me???

Anyways get the book Radical Careering! I'd say read it aka get it at the public library but I think it's worth owning so I'll be going to the bookstore myself very soon.

No comments: